Wednesday 7 January 2009

Freezing on the hills.

Freezing on the hills.

Don’t you just love this weather? I do and I really wish I could get out more on the hills and enjoy it.

The South Downs did manage to entice me out for a walk the other day. It was freezing on the hills, but beautifully sunny and fresh. The local was just out of Steyning, up on the Bostal, which is one of my many favourite views across the downs.

On with the Hiking Books, Han Wag Lima (fully recommended for people with feet like me, if you want to know what my feet are like email me). Out with the thermals – now where did I put them? I took them skiing last year, it was plus 12 C so didn’t need them, I took them trekking in Andorra, just in case, didn’t need them, went to get them out and couldn’t find them – great and still can’t, even out on a night hike last night with my Scouts. Time to invest in some new ones. At least I managed to find my
daypack.

The day was clear; the views went on and on. You really can’t beat a crisp winter day for clear air and immense absorbing views. The walk wasn’t very far as the wind chill really did make the temperature plummet, so we just headed up and along the South Downs Ways and looped back and round to the car after a few miles. My chin was numb, why did I leave my fleece neck tube at home? But so worth it, just for the views. But must get sorted with my cold weather gear! Get up onto Steyning Bostal any time of the year but get up their now before the cold snap ends to really appreciate the clear wonderful views across the South Downs and the Weald.

What have you been up to? Have you been walking anywhere and enjoying the slightly chilly weather? Let me know where you have been!

No comments: