Wednesday 20 May 2009

Lightweight walking boots - part 3. The final reckoning.

Yes, I'm going to keep Meindle Lightweight Walking Boots - they are not destined for eBay!

They were given their full road test the other weekend, or should I say their full bridleway test the other weekend.

A quick yomp across the South Downs from Southwick to Wivelsfield Green following the Sussex Border path broke the boots in well. 15 miles of pure pleasure and I am sure my feet felt that little it lighter going up hill. Only one small complaint was the hotspot on my heel which was soon alleviated with some second skin dressing. To be expected really, they were new and I've got bony heels - prone to blisters from ill fitting boots in formative years.

So, recommended and I know people will say it isn't important - they look good on my feet as well. To me looking good on the hills is still important.

Gareth's five top tips for buying walking boots:

  • Always go to a reputable (preferably independent) outdoor store.
  • Get your feet measured - they change shape / size as you get older.
  • Try on as many pairs of boots in the shop as possible, under the guidance of the qualified and experienced boot fitter.
  • Always use a test slope to walk up and down in the shop to make sure you don't slip in the boots.
  • Buy your boots later in the day when your feet are hot and slightly swollen from being used all day.
  • Take the socks you expect to wear with the boots to ensure optimum fit and comfort.
  • Get them home and wear them indoors for as long as possible to make sure they really are a good fit. Climb the stairs in them a few times.

Need any more advice or have any more questions about walking boots? Ping me an email.

Happy buying, happy feet - happy walking, love the adventure.

No comments: